Thursday, October 16, 2008

Dentists make the best friends

Well, that didn't last long. Seattle came and went. The caged bird sings the saddest song, right?

Actually, I left Seattle because I had a doctor's appointment, but since I really have no idea what I want to do with myself, I look at it as another re-evaulation checkpoint. I call it a "re-evaluation checkpoint" because I am indecisive. Sure, you might be saying I should just call it what it is- nothing more than a real good inability to make a decision (a rather inconseauential one too, maybe?), but "being indecisive" doesn't have the same ring; the same pazazz. The luster is missing, so it's out. People won't buy it, and I shouldn't sell it. Plus, it is about time to start buffing up that resume til it shines, so I figured I'd start by calling lots of stuff what it actually is not- I can't believe how people transform themselves on resumes, and worse, that employers actually buy it. In my opinion, trap doors under chairs opposite the employer are built for interviews with people who beef up and over-glorify themselves to such ridiculuos proportions. I am not saying a little pride is a bad thing, but I do believe it goes a long way.

Tangent aside, I am in Vancouver for who-knows-how-long and it is turning out to be good for me. I am like a car getting maintaince check-ups. I have to go to the doctor which kinda stinks, but hopefully if all goes as planned, I'll be as good as new with as little work as is needed. In addition, I got to go to the dentist today and I can't even tell you how good those trips make me feel. My teeth are shiny and so clean you could eat off them (ladies? care to try? No, no. I kid, how could I miss such an opportunity? But seriously, just one kiss?). AND, even better than that, my whistle has improved 10-fold because they got this one spot between my two front bottom teeth where a little plac was. I DO love whistling, and I love the comfortable chair I get to sit in, and I love conversing with the woman that cleans my teeth. She let me listen to a Billy Joel cd I brought in, and we laughed and laughed. I always feel bad when I go in and disappoint my dentist, so it means a lot when they approve of my brushing and flossing. I feel like a little kid in front of them, just aching for their approval, and when they give me that thumbs up or comment on the quality of my gums, I can't hardly contain my excitment. I see and hear fireworks, really.

Anyways, tangent aside again, I am indecisive. That's where we were I think. I won't beat around the bush with formalities anymore. "Re-evaluation checkpoint" was fun for a while, but formalities aren't for me. I don't want to fall down my own trap door after all, am I right? Who's with me? I am. I really like the idea of not questioning myself and just doing what makes me happy for a little while, but not questioning myself I cannot do. What makes me happy? Hell if I know. Baby steps I guess. I do know one thing that I can work off of: I don't want a career right now. I think there is a difference between a job and a career, and while a job is not something I can afford avoiding, a career is. I want to work at a bookstore, and why not? I like books. I like bookstores. I like people (more often than not). I like to read, which could come in handy if I get discounts on books. And, I like discounts on books, which could come in handy since I like to read.

Tangent aside, I really have "Vienna" by Billy Joel stuck in my head. Today after my date with the dentist (not a stretch to call it that- it was good more me, and I am betting it was good for them) Billy Joel's "Only the Good Die Young" started playing on the regular radio right after she gave me my Billy Joel cd back. Well, you better believe that got a good laugh. I started singing and she started singing and it was great. Really only I started singing. I pictured the whole office kinda movin together to the beat and having the collective best time at a dentist office that any one group of people could ever have- Everyone in the chairs kinda swinging their feet back and forth in unision and all the dental assistants and dentists singing and bopping around while they worked (us in the chair can't very well sing with our mouths forced to stay open during the duration of the song). In fact, I'd seal it up and say my life's complete if I could actualize that scene.

I can't wait to go back to the dentist. What was I talking about? Oh yeah, I am writing a short story about a man who can't find the moon. I might need some critical eyes to chew it up and spit it out. Or just read it and tell me what needs to be better, because I won't know by watching you eat it. I need help, but I am not a baby bird waiting to be fed. And you are not birds. I kinda wish at least some of you were though because I don't know any birds. Not caged birds though, I hear they are depressing (sad songs and all). Maybe an eagle? Anywho, there is more to the story than just a man not being a ble to find the moon. If there weren't I wouldn't need anyone to look at it, because there would be nothing to look at. You'd be looking at it.

How 'bout that Billy Joel, huh?

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

Zach, if I didn't know you any better I'd believe you were on a lot of drugs. I love it!! I love you, and I would love to read your story. I also love Billy Joel but I DON'T love the dentist.

liv said...

will you quit your babbling and just come back to seattle.

MOLLY said...

zach, i also went to the dentist and i HATE HATE HATE it, however, reading your blog has made me reevaluate. i don't like the dentist because i don't like my teeth and i don't floss and i don't like when they tell me i don't floss because i already know i don't, and i don't just to spite them. i'm turning a new leaf, your love for the dentist has inspired me, i'm going to start flossing starting today, the next time i do to the dentist all i'll get are compliments.

i miss you, be happy and have fun. bookstores smell good

MOLLY said...

"the next time i DO to the dentist" should be "the next time i GO to the dentist"

Unknown said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAOL95fKm2I&feature=related

This is a gift for you buddy.

Brett said...

Dude, stop your nonsense and come back to your shugga daddy.