Monday, October 13, 2008

Seattle. again? yes, again.

Oh man, a lot has happened since my last post. Most notably of that lot is my current location. I am in Seattle. Seattle is a city tucked away in the northwest. It has bad sports teams and is often rainy this time of year, but it offers colorful trees and good friends (colorful trees are limited to the time of year too).

So, why am I here? Avoiding an existential crisis, I'll answer this question as it pertains only to my current location. As you, my friends and family (maybe a government agency?) know, I was on a road trip with my good buddy Brett- Brett won't always rub aloe on your back, but a good friend he is. We were headed around the country slow and steady like any two people mindful of the tortoise and the hare story, but we ran into a wall. The wall was a job. A job for Brett. Fret not. It was not like we stopped to get gas and I went to the bathroom and when I came back to get in the car, he had a job. We both knew we had different aspirations for the trip when we started it, so I have no bad blood. He found something he likes doing and hopes it will help him get into journalism, and I can't knock him for that. I mean, if he was stripping or working at the gas station we stopped at in that last analogy, then I might be kinda mad, but as far as I can tell, he was not just saying he was headed to work at the radio station, and then secretly going to Banana Hammocks a' Plenty to make a quick hundo.

The trip does not have to be over though. I could, if I wanted to, go back to Santa Fe and work until he feels he is finished, but I kinda feel the novelty will be over by then. As far as I am aware, he is still going to New York, so if you are only reading this blog in hopes of coming across some fun road trip story, keep checking his blog out because he will be continuing the trip for sure.

I came home for a wedding, and what a wedding it was. Free wine always takes a wedding up a level or two, but it also helps to have a fun family and a good guest. My friend Brett was Katie's guest, my friend Stephanie was mine, and luckily Stephanie didn't mind dancing to Ricky Martin's "Living La Vida Loca" (we were the only two out there). All the best to Bill and Reem, the lovely couple, I hope you had a good time (and continue to) because I sure did. I got to see some family members I am used to seeing on a much more regular basis. Lucky for Brian and me, one of our cousins made a comment too good to not be made fun of, so we had that going for us all night as well.

Now I am in Seattle. I came up for a couple of days, anticipating to make a decision on where I was gonna go, and I think for the time being I am gonna stay up here. I love it up here. I think it would be wrong to stay for the sake of contentment, but as far as I am concerned, Seattle has a lot more to offer still. I worry of falling into a rut, but I'll worry about that anywhere I go, so in that sense, the location does not matter. It is what I do that matters, and I am not about to blame any situation I find myself in on where I am at. The journey does matter, don't get me wrong. But I won't limit a "journey" to being something where an object's physical position changes as a function of time. I am not saying here that I'll stay in Seattle for a long time either. But for now I, this is where I'll be. Talk to you soon though.

Love, Zach

Brett, I miss you. Good luck buddy

2 comments:

liv said...

this is the breakfast at tiffany's quote that i really poorly paraphrased the other night. what you said reminds me of it and it is something i try to think about. (im sorry its in caps)
"YOU CALL YOURSELF A FREE SPIRIT, A WILD THING. YOU'RE TERRIFIED SOMEBODY'S GOING TO STICK YOU IN A CAGE. WELL, BABY, YOU'RE ALREADY IN THAT CAGE. YOU BUILT IT YOURSELF. AND IT'S NOT BOUNDED BY TULIP, TEXAS, OR SOMALILAND. IT'S WHEREVER YOU GO. BECAUSE NO MATTER WHERE YOU RUN, YOU JUST END UP RUNNING INTO YOURSELF."

Stephanie said...

Welcome baaaaaaaack Zaaaaaaach! We're so happy to have you.