Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Some kinda Grand


After leaving Joshua Tree, Brett and I headed northeast to hit up one of the first national parks and the grandest of canyons, the Grand Canyon. Much thanks to Teddy for being such a proponent of preserving this piece of work. And also much thanks to erosion and the Colorado River for cutting through that land with such a relentless and unbending tenacity the likes of which has yet to be seen in the other more weak-minded rivers like that Potomac River.

We intended to camp near the Canyon but ran into some kooks at our campsite... yadayadayada, we ended up sleeping in the car. But we showed them good, because this scare enabled us to get such an uncomfortable night sleep in the car that we awoke early enough to see the Grand Canyon as the sun came up. The visitor center was prepared for my ineptitude and let me know exactly where I could get the best view: "Everywhere. It's true." And boy golly were they right as rain. No one can be in more than one spot simultaneously, so I couldn't test their claim, but my view sure was a keeper.

We stayed for a good while and walked along the rim, taking in what we could. Who knows how much time should be spent taking in the Grand Canyon in order for it to be deemed sufficient? I don't. A minute? An hour? A day? Day and a half, tops? The Price is Right way of deciding (and I'm inclined to decide many a matter by applying such a strategy), would tell me that the right answer is an hour because I spent around two hours there and probably sucked all I could outta that thing. But who knows. Everyone is different, and so are the reasons that bring a person to stare into what some think is just a large crack in the ground. Maybe if my marriage was on the fritz, I was in a mid-life crisis, Sarah Palin became VP, or ice cream became extinct somehow, I might search for meaning in this mixed up world of ours by peering into a mile deep chasm. As it so happens, I've got my share of soul searching to do still, so I said bring on the spiritual enlightenment. The Grand Canyon is as good a soul searching spot as any out there, right? Right.

Jerry Seinfeld and George Costanza had a bench on a pier to go to when they had to do some real heavy thinking and I've got the Grand Canyon. I can't say exactly what I thought while I was there, nor say what I now think as a consequence, and I don't particularly want to try here. All I can say is this: if there had been a bystander at the Grand Canyon just watching me think like I watch Jerry do in said episodes of Seinfeld, then the outcome was nothing sort of down-right anti-climactic. Needed "Hello" (by Lionel Richie) to be playing in the background and a flock of seagulls to run through for the full effect I think. In all seriousness, epiphanies don't come easy, regardless of having the Grand Canyon to lean on. So, while it'd be nice to say I can answer all the questions that my pesky conscious brings up with a little Grand assistant, I can't do that. I can however direct you to people who might think they have answers. But then again... if you stick with me I'll keep using Seinfeld analogies. Plus, I don't want to be alone here, so just stick with me.

We left my thinking spot* and traveled straight east for the first time this trip. Brett and I are staying at his Aunt Alice's place. He got some kinda internship at a radio station, so currently we're playing the trip by ear. Aunt Alice is an amazing women, and while Brett brings home the bacon, I'll be attending to housework: painting, yard work, etc. I know what your thinking. Don't judge though. Sure, these days it might be looked down upon that a college graduate chooses to stay in the home- I could get a job if I wanted to, I just assume work at home. Brett's girlfriend and main squeeze is coming out to Santa Fe. This is good news for all because between you, me, and maybe some other person you know, four weeks is a long time to be hanging out with a skinny, sometimes allergy ridden poor kid - no matter how cool, awesome, and down right hilarious that person might be. And trust you me, he is hilarious.

Always,
congested Zach

* "thinking spot" not a technical term

5 comments:

MOLLY said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MOLLY said...

i miss you. lets watch seinfeld while bretts at work, i'll hand you tissues.

Stephanie said...

The problem with Brett is that he has gross farts. I'm congested too, I feel ya. Zaaaach!

liv said...

zachy this made me laugh and (almost) cry. you're the best. also, you're skin is looking dangerously half black with all those days you spent loungin in so cal. calllllyyyyyy!!!

liv said...

oops, it should be "caaaallliiiiiii!!!"